Saghmosavank-Armenian Alphabet Monument-Amberd-Oshakan

Saghmosavank

 

The Saghmosavank (lit. "monastery of the Psalms") is a 13th-century Armenian monastic complex located in the village of Saghmosavan in the Aragatsotn Province of Armenia.

Like the Hovhannavank monastery which is five kilometers south, Saghmosavank is situated atop the precipitous gorge carved by the Kasagh river. Their silhouettes dominate the adjacent villages and rise sharp against the background of the mountains crowned by Mount Aragats.

The main structures of the monasteries erected by Prince Vache Vachutyan-the Church of Zion in Saghmosavank (1215) and the Church of Karapet in Hovhannavank (1216-1221)-belong to the same type of cross-winged domed structure with two-floor annexes in all the corners of the building. Subcupola space predominates in the interiors of both churches, which is reflected in the exterior shapes of these structures.

 

Armenian Alphabet Monument

 

Armenian Alphabet Monument - In 2005, the Armenian alphabet celebrated its 1600th birthday. In commemoration, it was given a gift of 39 giant, carved Armenian letters.

To honor his work, Armenian architect J. Torosyan created the stone carvings of every letter near Mashtots’ final resting place in 2005.

  Amberd

 

Amberd is a 7th-century fortress located 2,300 meters (7,500 ft) above sea level, on the slopes of Mount Aragats at the confluence of the Arkashen and Amberd rivers in the province of Aragatsotn, Armenia. The name translates to "fortress in the clouds" in Armenian.

Some sources say that Amberd used to be a summer residence for kings. The castle of Amberd and some sections of walls were constructed in the 7th century as a possession of the noble House of Kamsarakan.

Amberd was invaded in the 1070s by the Seljuq Turks who turned it into a military base. In 1197, a joint-army of Armenians and Georgians led by General Zakareh Zakarian liberated the fortress.

The site remained abandoned and untouched until the 20th century, when reconstruction and archaeological excavations began.

 

Oshakan

 

Saint Mesrop Mashtots Cathedral is a 19th-century church in the Oshakan village of Aragatsotn Province, Armenia. Currently, it is the seat of the Aragatsotn Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church. The church is famous for being the burial place of Saint Mesrop Mashtots; the creator of the Armenian alphabet.

The church was built between 1875 and 1879 by Catholicos Gevork IV of Armenia, replacing an old chapel built by Prince Vahan Amatouni back in 443. The belfry was added in 1884.

During the recent years, the entrance to the church was decorated with 36 khachkars (cross-stones), depicting the 36 original letters of the Armenian alphabet created by Saint Mesrop.

 

 

Duration: 5-6 hours

Price of group and individual excursions 

(The price is written on the transportation regardless the number of the participents)

 

Price without a guide
1-3 pers.4-6 pers.up to 7 pers.
55 USD
65 USD
on request
Price with a guide
1-3 pers.4-6 pers.up to 7 pers.
115 USD
120 USD
on request
 

   

  • +49 177 591 91 91

 

 

Top