Excursion to Lake Sevan - Sevanavank monastery - Noratus - Hayravank monastery
The length of the program 7-8 hours, excluding lunch stop (optionals, not included in the price)
You can choose any convenient travel dates. The trips are available all year round.
We have no prepayment. You can make payment in travel day. Entrance fees are to be paid by yourself.
Our employees will meet you / pick you up at the place of residence (for example in hotel, hostel or private flat), and at the end of a trip will bring you back!
Lake Sevan is a freshwater lake in the Armenian highlands. It is the largest lake in the Caucasus. It is guaranteed as the largest source of fresh water in the region. It is fed by 28 rivers and streams. Only 10% of the incoming water is drained by the Hrazdan River, while the remaining 90% evaporates.
Sevan originated during the early Quaternary when a Palaeo-Sevan, ten times larger than the present lake, came into existence by tectonic formation. The current lake was formed some 25 to 30 thousand years ago.
The Lake Sevan consists of two unequal parts called Big Sevan and Small Sevan. In the north-western part is located the Sevan's Peninsula which is famous for its medieval monasteries and khachkars (cross-stones).
The territory of modern-day Sevan has been populated since the 3rd millennium BC. The cyclopean fortress of Metsep dating back to the 3rd millennium BC stands just north of the city.
Sevanavank - a monastery in the north-west coast of the lake. The monastery is located on Sevan peninsula, which was previously a small island.
According to an inscription in one of the churches, the monastery of Sevan was founded in 874 by Princess Mariam, the daughter of Ashot I (who became a king a decade later). At the time, Armenia was still struggling to free itself from Arab rule.
The monastery was strict as it was mainly intended for those monks from Etchmiadzin who had sinned. Jean-Marie Chopin, a French explorer of the Caucasus, visited there in 1830 and wrote of a regimen restraining from meat, wine, youth or women. Another explorer visited the monastery in 1850 and wrote of how manuscripts were still being copied manually.
The two churches of the complex, Surp Arakelots meaning the "Holy Apostles" and Surp Astvatsatsin meaning the "Holy Mother of God", are both cruciform plan structures with octagonal tambours. The two are quite similar to each other in appearance. Adjacent are the ruins of a gavit whose roof was originally supported by six wooden columns. Some of the remains of the gavit and its columns can be seen in the Yerevan Museum of History.
Noratus - a medieval cemetery with many early khachkars located in the village of Noratus, Gegharkunik marz near Gavar and Lake Sevan, 90 km north of Yerevan. The cemetery has the largest cluster of khachkars in Armenia.
Hayravank - a village in the Gegharkunik Province of Armenia. The church at Hayravank was built during the late 9th century.
The monastic complex consists of a church, chapel, and gavit. It is a quatrefoil cruciform central-plan structure with four semi-circular apses. A small chapel was added in the 10th century.
Surrounding the monastery are numerous khachkars and gravestones that are part of a small cemetery.
Armenia is a country to fall in love with!
The price of group and individual day trips
(The price is given per vehicle, regardless of the number of participants)
Price without a guide
up to 7 pers.
Price with a guide
up to 7 pers.
What is included in the tour price?
What is not included in the tour price?
If you still have questions about the tour organization in Armenia, then it is very easy to contact us! You can order a call on the website, send an email or just SMS. We will get back to you shortly
(+374 91) 01 56 60 (Viber, Whatsapp)